Communications Division, Recycle Right Program - Undergraduate/Graduate Student Intern
Salary Range: $11.82 – $22.58 Hourly
Closing Date: December 16th, 2019
About the Department
The San José Environmental Services Department (ESD) leads Climate Smart San José and is responsible for the management of solid waste collection and recycling; watershed protection and pollution prevention; municipal drinking water and recycled water; community sustainability initiatives, and the operation and infrastructure improvements of the San José-Santa Clara Regional Wastewater Facility. ESD’s mission is to deliver world-class utility services and programs to improve our health, environment and economy. ESD is comprised of a staff of more than 530 people with a diverse set of skills and specialties. ESD staff demonstrates a strong commitment to teamwork, environmental protection, and building effective partnerships.
For more information about the Environmental Services Department, please visit our website or @sjenvironment on Twitter, Facebook Instagram.
Position and Duties
Your communications, journalism or writing and analytical skills will contribute to the sustainability of our city as you work alongside and assist a professional communications team. You’ll gain experience and build your portfolio as you provide general support with outreach plans, writing, community relations and social media. As a part of ESD’s Communications Division, you’ll work with communication strategists who strive to inform and engage our audiences and encourage behavior changes needed to conserve natural resources and safeguard the environment.
Responsibilities and duties include but are not limited to:
- Participating in the research, development and implementation of Recycle Right outreach plans, collateral, and program and project goals.
- Providing creative writing and other technical assistance on a variety of collateral materials including news releases, articles, webpages, brochures, flyers and audio/video scripts.
- Fact-checking, proofreading, formatting and editing as needed.
- Gathering story ideas and creating social media posts.
- Planning, coordinating, conducting and attending events and meetings as needed.
- Collecting and analyzing data and creating reports on program/outreach evaluations.
- May include other duties and tasks of a similar nature as assigned.
Desirable qualifications include:
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks/projects simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Experience in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Social media knowledge and experience.
- Ability to speak and write in Spanish.
Undergraduate Student Intern: Current enrollment in an accredited college or university in an undergraduate program.
Graduate Student Intern: Completion of a Bachelor's degree and current enrollment in a Master's degree program from an accredited college or university.
Preferred Academic Programs: Communications, Graphic Design, Business, Life Science/Environmental Studies, Spanish, or related areas of study/major are preferred.
License: Possession of a valid driver's license authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in the State of California may be required for some positions.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
How to Apply
To apply for these positions, go to the City of San José Careers website and apply at http://bit.ly/2hShSey
- Search for “Student Intern/Graduate Student Intern – Citywide” Requisition ID # 1901026
- Upload your resume in your online application.
- Complete the application education and work history sections.
- Indicate your school enrollment status.
- Indicate your primary area of study.
- Check the “Environmental Services” box as the City Department.
- Indicate your availability, select all that apply.
- Important! Once you have submitted your online application, email Kristen Van Kley at email@example.com and state the date that you submitted your online job application for the internship opportunity to the Communications division. You will be contacted with further instructions after the close date.
Application deadline: Monday, December 9, 2019 by 11:59 P.M.
Please contact Amarjeet Rai at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.